The Kenai Peninsula Borough Road Service Area (RSA) maintains over 630 miles (95% is gravel and 5% is paved) of roads. The RSA is divided into five regions, Central, West, North, East and South. Each region is divided into units.There are twenty eight (28) road maintenance units borough-wide. The borough contracts with local contractors to maintain roads. Road maintenance includes snow plowing, sanding, minor road repairs, grading and ditch clearing.
Permits for new driveway construction, road improvements, right-of-way work or new road construction may be obtained on-line or at the Road Service Area office, 47140 E. Poppy Lane, Soldotna. There are no applicable fees to obtain a right-of-way permit.
Roads that meet Kenai Peninsula Borough Road Construction Standards Chapter 14.06 may be considered for maintenance. Applications may be obtained at the Road Service Area office or on-line. Road Maintenance Applications along with the Construction Cost Statement will only be accepted no later than September 1st for the Road Service Area Board to consider approval at their October meeting.
The Kenai Peninsula Borough through the Assessing Department and Road Service Area offers citizens the opportunity to improve/pave subdivision roads through the RIAD program. You may contact the Assessing Department or the Road Service Area office for further information.
Other Useful Resources:
Click here to see a GIS map of the Road Service Area boundaries.
The Road Service Area established five regions within the Kenai Peninsula Borough as follows:
- Sterling Highway at approximate mile post 43 to approximate mile post 51 (Cooper Landing).
- Seward Highway at approximate mile post 1 to approximate mile post 35 (Moose Pass/Seward).
- Hope Highway at approximate mile post 15 to approximate mile post 17 (Hope).
- Kalifornsky Beach Road (K-Beach) from intersection at approximate mile post 96 of Sterling Highway in Soldotna to intersection at approximate mile post 109 Sterling Highway in Kasilof.
- Sterling Highway at approximate mile post 96 to approximate mile post 149. (Kasilof/ Ninilchik).
- Sterling Highway at approximate mile post 76 to approximate mile post 92.
- (Sterling/Soldotna). Kenai Spur Highway at mile post 1 to approximate mile post 5 (Soldotna).
- Funny River Road (Soldotna)
- Kenai Spur Highway at mile post 15 to approximate mile post 35 (North Kenai/Nikiski).
- Sterling Highway at approximate mile post 150 to approximate mile post 18 East End Road (Anchor Point/Homer).
Click here to see link Boundaries established in KPB Code 16.41.010.
Road Maintenance Application
Road Maintenance Applications along with the Construction Cost Statement will only be accepted prior to September 1st. New road construction must be completed by October 1st to allow for final inspection. Applications are reviewed annually for approval by the Road Service Area Board at their October meeting.
Only roads that have a final recorded plat, surveyed as-built (if applicable), and meet the design and construction standards set forth in Road Construction Standards Chapter 14.06 may be certified by the Road Service Area Board for inclusion in the road maintenance program, unless an exception pursuant to KPB 14.06.230 is approved by the Road Service Area Board.
Requirements included in Kenai Peninsula Borough Road Service Area Policy 2009-01 Acceptance of Roads for Maintenance shall be met before application is considered complete.
A RIGHT-OF-WAY PERMIT IS REQUIRED PRIOR TO STARTING ROAD CONSTRUCTION.
All applications may be obtained at the Road Service Area office, 47140 E. Poppy Lane, Soldotna.